The adventure of life is to learn. The goal of life is to grow. The nature of life is to change. The challenge of life is to overcome. The essence of life is to care. The secret of life is to dare. The beauty of life is to give. The joy of life is to love! ~William Ward

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Yesterday's shadows!

I totally forgot to post yesterday's shot. I totally forgot that I was supposed to go to my brother's house last night for a get-together for my nephew who was in town. If forgetfulness comes with age, then I'm in trouble!!



I got this rose on Thursday evening at a Boy Scout recognition dinner. One of Troop 191's scouts nominated Paul for the District Award of merit. We tried to surprise him and tell him that were recognizing the troop for it's 80th anniversary. Paul knew better, and figured he was getting some kind of an award but also thought that it would just be the stand at your seat kind of thing!

When the MC started to introduce Paul I knew something else was up. You see, he started talking about all the training and positions Paul has held since the boys started in scouts. And then he said there was no way this could be accomplished without.......

someone at home to hold down the fort. Some one who stayed at home while Paul went on camping trips with the older one(s). Some one who made sure that the boys got to meetings when Paul wasn't around. Some one who supported all three of her sons while they worked to become Eagle Scouts. In other words, me! Then they brought me up and gave me this rose. Some times it's just the little things in life that mean the most.

Now back to photography, sort of. When I got home from work on Friday, I started to clean but then noticed that the rose had started to open up. So I took it outside on the deck where the sun was shining because I hoping that I could get some interesting shadowing. I tried to limit myself to 5 or 6 thought out shots, taking my gray card measurements for exposure and wishing I had a digital gray card for white balance but I did the best I could with the one I had. This is the shot I took. I will admit that I did play a bit in PSE.

As I got looking at the shadows that fell within the rose and at the beauty of the opening bud, it got me thinking about life and how that simple rose can represent so much more than itself. As the petals begin to pull away from the center of the flower the sunlight shines on the outside, but what lies inside is still dark and unknown. As the petals continue to spread and grow new life appears and sun illuminates each petal beautifully. I'm starting to think of life like that rose. As I pass each decade in my life what lies ahead is not so much dark but unknown but there is still beauty all around me. New things to discover. New things to learn. New ways to grow! As I get to the end of this decade of my life and start the next one, I'm praying it will be as beautiful as the rest of the layers of my life..and if I forget something, just remind me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment